One hundred and eighteen years ago, in the year of 1897, Ward Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church had its beginning under a bush at the corner of Thirteenth Avenue and Twenty-fourth Street. In 1897, the Reverend R. W. Miller, a local preacher from Saint John A.M.E. Church, came as pastor of Ward Chapel and served two years. Rev. Swindow followed Rev. Miller and pastored one year. Rev. W.J. Ferguson then became pastor, moved the church to Twenty-sixth Street and helped to rebuild it. Sister Henrietta Flemming raised the first twenty dollars to make a monthly payment on the new church. In 1913, the church was rebuilt a second time on Twenty-sixth Street. Fifty dollars was donated from a trust fund established in honor of the late Bishop Thomas M.D. Ward. The funds were left to build new churches. Each church receiving money from the fund was to be named in honor of Bishop Ward.