Tanner Chapel AME Church, Phoenix, AZ 85034
Historic Tanner Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest African American Church in the State of Arizona. It was established during the pioneer days when Charles Ward, N. D. Valentine, Laura Valentine and Sister Bell met with the Reverend H. H. Hawkins proposing the establishment of a Christian mission to foster “family life.” Courthouse records show that in 1886, property was owned by an African Methodist Episcopal Mission. The African Methodist Episcopal Mission grew, and in 1899, another piece of property was acquired at Second Street and East Jefferson Street.
With this addition, the African Methodist Episcopal Mission was named Tanner Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in honor of Bishop Benjamin T. Tanner. Some years later, Tanner’s Sarah E. Tanner Women’s Missionary Society was established and named in honor of Bishop Tanner’s wife.
Years later, the property at Second Street and Jefferson Street was sold, and the present Eighth Street and Jefferson Street site was purchased. Reverend A. H. Hamilton, Tanner’s pastor from 1926-1932, served as the inspiration for building the new church. The “new” Tanner Chapel was completed in 1929. The Reverend John L. Shaw led Tanner Chapel in its Centennial Anniversary Celebration in November 1987.
Boy Scout Troop 0208 Pack 0208
Scoutmaster: Dimitrius Weddington
CubMaster: Van Gordon
Chartered Organization Representative: Charles Patton
|AMEC District Office|
|Scout Group Type|
- Cub Scout Pack
- Boy Scout Troop